Recent Books Published
1. Udaya S.Mishra, Irudaya Rajan S., India’s Aged: Needs and Vulnerabilities, Orient BlackSwan
India’s Aged: Needs and Vulnerabilities discusses the most vulnerable aspects of elderly life—health and well-being—under the current conditions of economic and societal change. This volume explores (a) whether the nature of living arrangements has a bearing on the health outcomes of the elderly; (b) whether the real or perceived economic dependence and financial vulnerability of the elderly is conditioned by translation of capabilities into functioning; and (c) the implied healthcare costs, which are defined as based on both actual needs and the elderly people’s own perception of their needs.
This volume highlights a range of issues underpinning elder care in India, with particular focus on the challenges that India faces in caring for the elderly. In addition to the very limited state support and near total dependence on the family for long-term social care and economic support, the changing dynamics between generations in the family structure and privatization of health care in general create new challenges that need to be addressed.
3. Malerba, Franco, Sunil Mani and Pamela Adams (eds). The Rise to Market Leadership, New Leading Firms from Emerging Countries, Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, Mass, USA: Edward Elgar.
The book analyses, the country, sector and firm level factors which have enabled a select number of automotive, ICT and pharmaceutical firms from Brazil, China and India to become market leaders in their respective industries. Market leadership is defined in terms of three indicators, namely (i) market shares in both domestic and international markets; (ii) innovative activity; and (iii) global reach of the firm in both cross border transfer of goods and services and in terms of commercial presence abroad.
4. Agarwal, Manmohan; The Economies of China and India: Volume I: China and India : The International Context and Economic Growth, Manufacturing Performance and Rural Development. 2017. World Scientific, Singapore with Jing Wang and John Whalley (eds.)
5. Agarwal, Manmohan; The Economies of China and India: Volume II: Competitiveness, External Cooperation Strategy and Income distribution: Changes in China. 2017. World Scientific, Singapore with Jing Wang and John Whalley (eds.)
6. Agarwal, Manmohan; The Economies of China and India: Volume III Economic Growth, Employment and Inclusivity: The International Environment. 2017. World Scientific, Singapore with Jing Wang and John Whalley (eds.)